What is Athletic Wicking Jersey?
Athletic Wicking Jersey (AWJ) is a polyester knit textile used in cloth diapers to line the shell, the pocket, or inserts to provide a cooler, stay-dry surface. Made from synthetic fibres such as polyester, bamboo rayon, or nylon, the material is can absorb a small amount of liquid, but generally wicks away to the layers underneath. AWJ has become increasingly popular choice for diaper makers around the world.
Popular brand name is CoolMax Technology. CoolMax is a family of polyester fibres designed to beat the heat and provide permanent moisture wicking performance for a wide range of products and fashion. Available options include sustainable recycled fibre options.
5 Interesting things about Athletic Wicking Jersey
- Stay Dry – it’s desged to wick away the moisture from the skin and why you often see it in sports apparel to help keep athletes cool. The same principle applies in a diaper or mensutral product.
- It’s cooling – unlike the warmth of a polar fleece or fleece material, wicking jersey offers a much cooler experience for babies who might be sensitive to the warmth of the fleece pocket.
- It’s easy to care for – wicking jersey doesn’t hold onto stink like it’s fleece counterparts, and resistant to staining. That’s not to say it wont stain but rather it’s more persistent to taking in any stains.
- It is a synthetic – 100% polyster, AWJ is a synthetic material. I have seen bamboo blends but also remember bamboo is also very synthetic. Very simply to create polyester petroleum products are derived into acids and alcohols that are condensed at high temperatures and formed into ribbons, and then spun into a fibre. These fibres are drawn out and made into yarns. It’s all very secret.
- It’s a less common choice for cloth diapers, and primarily found on diapers made in Canada or abroad.\
What is the downside of AWJ for cloth diapering?
Some families report that AWJ is more difficult to clean because it continues to hold onto smells like many other synthetic fibres. Unfortunately, there are very few natural fibre options for cloth diaper pockets or products. If you’d like a natural fibre pocket (no stay-dry), consider the Petite Crown Packa, the Bebeboo Grow Trainer, or the Thirsties Natural Pocket diaper.
Why is Athletic Wicking Jersey Increasing in Popularity for Cloth Diapers?
A few hypothesis for the increase rise in AWJ for cloth diapering…
- Better wash & wear compared to thicker fleece and micro fleece options. AWJ is less likely to stain, pill, and loose density overtime.
- Poop tends to slide right off these diapers.
- Cooling effect instead of the warmth of polar and micro fleece.
- Feels less like a synthetic product – even though it’s still synthetic
- Accessibility out of the Canadian textile market.
- Increased demand by parents who just preferred it better.
Popular Cloth Diapers that Use Athletic Wicking Jersey
Designed in the USA. The Bebeboo Choice All In Two Shell is a great product that can be used as a pocket, cover, AIO, or swim diaper. Sold without inserts making it affordable and cost effective choice for parents. Lined with a soft athletic wicking jersey (AWJ) that is stain resistant; lightweight and cool in the summer; and also amazing in wicking moisture away from the skin
Kekoa Reusable Cloth Nappies
Kekoa’s consciously designed trim nappy with bilayer technology is eco-luxury at its finest. Pairing simple innovation with elegance they are not only practical and functional, but beautifully luxurious.
CoolMax® performance moisture wicking technology sits directly against your baby’s delicate skin, providing superior dryness, and is the easiest internal fabric to clean.
Kinder Cloth Diapers
Kinder Cloth’s modern pocket diapers feature more rise settings and waterproof tummy panels to help you get the best performance for your little one. All Kinder Cloth pocket cloth diapers feature a PUL (Polyurethane Laminate) waterproof outer layer, with a soft athletic wicking jersey mesh interior moisture wicking layer.
Designed in Hawaii – This pocket diaper system consists of an outer waterproof shell and an absorbent insert. It offers a “do-everything” design that is perfect for day and nighttime use, and can even be used as a swim diaper! This adjustable diaper will fit most babies from birth until potty training, and is a great choice for first-time cloth diaper users and veterans alike. You’ll love this diaper’s versatility, comfort, and style. Simply place the insert into the “pocket” of the diaper, put it on baby, and go!