Absorbency testing is huge in the cloth diaper space because everyone is curious about a product’s ability to perform and whether it’s worth the cost or the investment or the cheapness of the product. There are a variety of prefolds, preflats, flats, rectangle inserts and other larger absorbency options on the market. This post is dedicated to them to help keep it simple with regards to learning about the absorbency of products.
You can check out my YouTube Channel to see and watch videos related to absorbency testing of many these products.
How I Absorbency Test?
I’m measuring the maximum capacity of an insert by soaking it in water and then measuring the weight of the insert minus the original weight. This is explained in the video below. Maximum capacity and everyday real life experiences will vary. The key is about consistency. I’m also verifying all of my results by measuring each product at least three times to come up with an average absorbency of the flat or the prefold or the other large insert type thing.
There are many ways to meausre absorbency and it’s not consistent across the board. Be sure to consider those variations when reflecting on numbers. Mine is really max capacity after one minute. I have not found longer soaks to actually increase absorbency textiles like bamboo or hemp but this may evolve with time.
— Check out this playlist to hear me talk about the absorbencies as well as to see many of these do a pour over test and you can see just how well it does absorb (or doesn’t absorb)
Absorbency of Flats
These are single layer pieces of fabric that can be used in a cloth diaper list. This list is representative of my personal stash and there may be more and other products out there.
- Imagine Baby Stretchy Bamboo Flats – 15.8 ounces
- Osocozy Bamboo/Cotton Bridseye Flats – 13.5 ounces
- Two Sparrows Hemp Flats – 12.7 ounces
- HumBird Hemp/Cotton Stretchy Flats – 12.6 ounces
- HempBabies OS Hemp/Cotton Flat – 12.5 ounces
- Ikea Cotton Burp Cloths – approximately 12 ounces
- Imagine Baby Printed Cotton Flats – 9.4 ounces
- Flip Daytime Organic Cotton Insert – 9.2 ounces
- BabyKicks Hemparoo Duz-it-all – hemp/cotton – 8.0 ounces
- Disana Brushed Cotton Liners – 100% Cotton – 5.9 ounces
Absorbency of Prefolds
Remember bigger isn’t better, and the most absorbency isn’t the answer too your needs. That top Osocozy Prefold is a crazy big size and never something I’d use on my child. I would much prefer doubling the Nuggles Inserts to get to 22 ounces as it is much trimmer and smaller fit. These products exist to fill a need but dont’ forget to look at the size of your baby and the amount of absorbency you actually need.
- Osocozy Toddler Cotton Prefold (Beige) 22 ounces
- Osocozy Premium Cotton Prefold (Green) – 18 ounces
- HempBabies Bigger Weed Hemp Prefold – 15.7 ounces
- Osocozy Better Fit Cotton Prefold (Beige) – 15.6 ounces
- SmartBottoms Smart Fold Hemp/Cotton Prefold (Large) – 15.3 ounces
- Nuggles BambooLuxe Overnight Insert 3 Layer (Size 2)- 14.8 ounces
- Buttons Cotton Prefold (Size 3) -13.6 ounce
- Buttons Bamboo/Cotton Prefold (Size 3) – 13.6 ounces
- Geffen Baby Jersey Prefold (Medium) – 13.6 ounces
- Lighthouse Kids Supreme Bamboo Insert – 12.9 ounces
- Osocozy Better Fit Cotton Prefold (Red) – 12.6 ounces
- AppleCheeks 3 Layer Bamboo Insert – 12.6 ounces
- AMP 3 Layer Hemp/Cotton Insert – 12.3 ounces
- Thirsties Duo Hemp/Cotton Prefold – 11.6 ounces
- Osocozy Infant Size Cotton Prefold – 11.2 ounces
- Geffen Baby Jersey Prefold (Small) – 10.5 ounces
- Nuggles BambooLuxe Overnight Insert 3 Layer (Size 1) – 10.1 ounces
- Smart Bottoms Smart Fold Hemp/Cotton (Medium) – 10.1 ounces
- Les Confections Lili Hemp Daytime Insert – 9.8 ounces
- Nuggles 2 ply Bamboo/Cotton Insert (older version) size 2 – 9.8 ounces
- Osocozy Better Fit Cotton Prefold (Purple Trim) – 9.5 ounces
- Bummis Infant Size Cotton Prefold – 9.5 ounces
- Thirsties Duo Hemp/Cotton Prefold (Size 1) – 9 ounces
- AMP 2 Layer Hemp/cotton Insert – 8.8 ounces
- Smart Bottoms Smart Fold Hemp/Cotton Prefold (Small) – 8.8 ounces
- AMP 2 Layer Bamboo Insert – 8.75 ounces
- HempBabies Little Weeds Hemp Prefold – 8.3 ounces
- GroVia Prefold (Size 1) – 6.4 ounces
- Nuggles 2 Ply Bamboo Insert (older version) size 1 – 6 ounces
- Osocozy Premie Size Cotton Prefold – 4.7 ounces
Where to buy cloth diapers? Check out this list of affiliate retailers to support this blog and project from Bailey. Affiliate sales help earn income to purchase diapers for review, supplies for experiments, and support the self care of another mama. There is no pressure to buy, and no cost to you. It’s a way for bloggers and creators to earn a small commission.