Curious about which all in one is the trimmest? Best value? Or best choice for your families needs?
Interview with Baby Koala
Baby Koala uses AWJ in their pocket diaper, and we chat about why and the benefits
What is Athletic Wicking Jersey?
Athletic wicking jersey is a polyester knit textile used in some cloth diapers to line the shell of the diaper or the pocket lining. It is a stay dry material.
5 Interesting AWJ Perspectives
- Stay Dry – it’s desged to wick away the moisture from the skin and why you often see it in sports apparel to help keep athletes cool. The same principle applies in a diaper or mensutral product.
- It’s cooling – unlike the warmth of a polar fleece or fleece material, wicking jersey offers a much cooler experience for babies who might be sensitive to the warmth of the fleece pocket.
- It’s easy to care for – wicking jersey doesn’t hold onto stink like it’s fleece counterparts, and resistant to staining. That’s not to say it wont stain but rather it’s more persistent to taking in any stains.
- It is a synthetic – 100% polyster, AWJ is a synthetic material. I have seen bamboo blends but also remember bamboo is also very synthetic. Very simply to create polyester petroleum products are derived into acids and alcohols that are condensed at high temperatures and formed into ribbons, and then spun into a fibre. These fibres are drawn out and made into yarns. It’s all very secret.
- It’s a less common choice for cloth diapers, and primarily found on diapers made in Canada or abroad..
Frequently Asked Questions
What is AWJ fabric?
AWJ is the abbreviation for Athletic Wicking Jersey, a synthetic fiber used for a stay dry cloth diaper.
Which Diapers come with AWJ?
- Funky Fluff
- Baby Koala
- Les Confections Lili
Professional Cloth Diaper Educator
Bailey brings 5+ years of cloth diapering experience and conversation to the cloth diaper space. She's not just your every day mom blogger sharing her experience - Bailey is immersed in the cloth diaper community learning from other parents and growing as an individual. She wants to find the cloth diaper solution that truly works for you.
Bailey believes we need to stop and listen to cloth diapering parents. We need to recognize our own bias and preferences and focus on solutions that work for you, not us. The Cloth Diaper community needs to recognize the privilege of being able to cloth diaper, and provide spaces for more conversations and stories.
Cloth diapering is not about rules but about our own strength as parents to do the best we can for our children with the resources available.
About the Cloth Diaper Podcast
The Cloth Diaper Podcast is a regular podcast sharing stories from cloth diaper parents, brands and retailers from around the world.
The Cloth Diaper Podcast is not affiliated with any school of thought of diaper laundry but instead focus on the power of peer-to-peer story telling to empower you to make your own cloth diaper journey.
Cloth Diapering is not this or that, but rather many different experiences.
Cloth Diaper Podcast is located in Northern BC, Canada on the traditional territories of the Lheidli T'enneh First Nations. Black Lives Matter. Every Child Matters. & We are strong advocates for radical change as requested by those who experience social injustice. Listen first.
The Cloth Diaper Podcast participates in affiliate programs with different brands and businesses. Links clicked may result in earned comission to Bailey Bouwman as a result of purchases made. If you have questions about affiliate links and sales please contact Bailey.
Cloth Diaper Podcast (SimplyMomBailey) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.